Monday, January 25, 2010

"Passionate Housewives," pt 4

I’ve fallen into this trap many times before, and this section of the book really helped me to see things more clearly...

Desperately Seeking “Me Time”

…Many times we’re given a long list of things that supposedly all women should have if they are to be happy, refreshed, and satisfied; yet sometimes they have nothing to do with our actual needs and don’t even resemble real desires we have.

…Please understand there is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of these things (physical pampering), as long as we understand that we don’t need them to be content or healthy and that we aren’t somehow deprived if we don’t’ get them.

…In the American pursuit to pamper the flesh, women are told to plan outings where they can spend more time alone (specifically without their children); read books and magazines that make them feel good about what they’re already doing; seek out friends who make them comfortable and praise them rather than challenge them…

…Again, there is nothing sinful about enjoying the blessings that God places in our paths. My point isn’t to convince you that anything that brings you physical pleasure is sinful (Gnosticism is a dangerous heresy), but rather to challenge you to honestly evaluate your thinking. In other words, in your desire for relief from your trials, are you only willing to listen to teaching that makes you feel better about yourself or what you want to be doing, but lacks the power to truly purge the dross from your life?

“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” (Romans 8:12-14)

6 comments:

  1. i think the question could be...how DOES one find that soul satisfaction first and then be free to explore the other "blessings" that bring comfort/happiness or whatever. I find that when I feel i "need" something to make me happy, i Need to remind myself of the basic gospel. I am a sinner. Christ died for my sins. If I have placed my faith in Christ, I am now clothed with Christ's righteousness. If this doesn't satisfy, then I need to ask why? Once I get back to this, I am now more "free" to see if there are other things that I can enjoy, but not at the expense of taking care of my family. And it helps me not get too critical or self-righteous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Tina...we need to preach the gospel to ourselves every day! Because we're still humans struggling with sin, and in the process of being sanctified, we will always struggle to some degree with looking in places other than God's Word for soul satisfaction...(even though our spirits know that only true satisfaction comes from the Lord and His Word.)

    However, I think the main point the ladies were making in this section is from Philippians 4:19, "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

    Stacy McDonald goes on to say, "There are many ways we can relax or enjoy ourselves when God gives us opportunity, but to *feverishly pursue* solace in worldly leisure and personal pleasure is to run to an empty comforter."

    I'll be the first to admit...I love a good pedicure! (Although I can't really afford them...just once in a blue moon.) :-) But if money wasn't an option and I could get one as often as I wanted, I think the heart of the question would be, would I be willing to give it up, or would I become too attached? Am I willing to crucify "the flesh with it's passions and desires," (Galatians 5:24), or do I look at personal pleasures as *essentials* for living? In other words, is Christ enough? Sadly, my actions say otherwise all too often. God is so patient with me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking of religion, and how there is a parallel to this topic...

    Some, (pseudo-Christian), religions teach that one must add works to their faith in order to attain salvation.

    In a similar way, many professing believers (myself included) fall into the trap of believing (perhaps subconsciously), that we must add physical pleasures, or "necessary luxuries," to the Word of God in order to attain joy, peace, rejuvenation, refreshment, etc.

    Is Christ and His Word enough? When I think of the persecuted church in other parts of the world, and the power of their living testimony, and I see how mightily God uses those who have *nothing* in the physical sense, yet they have abundantly more on the spiritual sense... Absolutely YES. HE is all we need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think we just said the same thing :) God will supply all our needs in Christ Jesus...it starts with the gospel and then carries over into all the areas of our lives..recreation, intimacy, friendship, etc..
    Have you heard of Christian Counseling & Education Foundation? They hit this concept hard..how the gospel affects all of our lives. It has really helped me. here is their link:

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, the link is:
    http://www.ccef.org/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I guess we were saying the same thing, huh? Haha! Leave it to me to be redundant... :-D

    I'll definitely look at that site, thanks!

    ReplyDelete