Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Passionate Housewives," pt 10

The Invasion of the Baby Snatchers, pt. 2

…Even those of us moms who have chosen to go against the grain can still be lulled by feminism’s lies.  We can be lured by the insidious notion that being separated from our home and little ones is a good thing.  We too can become convinced that it’s better for everyone if Mom pursues her own interests.  I know; it’s happened to me.

When my children were small, I remember considering the use of a mothers’ day out program at a nearby, local church.  I wasn’t sure it was the best idea, since I was truly grateful to be home with my children; but our family had just moved, I had a newborn baby, and I was tired of chasing a toddler in the midst of opening boxes and running a home. So the thought of a “break” a few times a week sounded good.

I also reasoned that it might give me opportunities to “minister” to others – opportunities seemingly lost in the day-in and day-out of mashing bananas and potty training. I considered the various “women’s ministries” that were available at the church we were attending and wondered which ones matched the time slot of my newly-discovered hours of freedom. I reasoned that it would be good for my son to interact with other toddlers, learn new Bible songs, and obtain a little preschool-style education that I didn’t always have time to provide.

So one day, I did it. I took my two-year-old bundle of bona fide boy-power to a Christian mother’s day out program.  It would be “good for him,” I reasoned.  And “good for me too,” I thought, as I eagerly considered the free time I’d have.  As I signed the paperwork, one of the workers looked at my sleeping, eight-week-old angel of a girl and asked, “Will she be staying too?”

“No!” I answered protectively.  Almost immediately a charge of guilt shot through my soul.  Why was I willing to give up the “difficult” one, but not my angelic sleeping newborn?  As I drove away, I reminded myself that it was only for a few hours.  I tried to pretend I didn’t hear his cries in my head.  Yet after several “play times” at mothers’ day out, it didn’t get any better.  He seemed to know as soon as we drove into the parking lot that mommy was going to leave him here – at this place.

One day, as I left the building, I brushed my fingertips on the paper animals on the wall that were entering Noah’s Ark and tried to convince myself that leaving him here was a good thing.  “It’s a Christian environment,” I told myself. However, as I drove away, the thought hit me, “What in the world am I doing?  This is what I’ve wanted all along – to be able to stay home with my babies!  If I’m not forced to send him to daycare, then why would I want to leave him crying in a ‘mother’s day out’ program?  What’s the difference?”

Deep down, I knew that I hadn’t left him in the care of others for my feigned reason of socialization or so that he could enjoy a Christian environment; he received every bit of that at home and more.  The reason I had made my choice was plainly and honestly spelled out in the name of the program, “Mothers’ Day Out.”  It was so that I could have a day out – a day off – time for myself without the “burden” of caring for my busy toddler.

Almost in tears, I turned the van around, hurriedly parked, and ran back into the church.  When I got there, I observed a little girl in a playpen who desperately needed a nose-wiping – though nobody seemed to notice.  I heard another toddler about my son’s age, screaming in a rage over being “locked” in his high chair – he had been “mean” to the other toddlers.  One of the teachers told me he was sentenced to the high chair often.

I gathered my little one and headed to the van, never to return.  I thanked God for the option that so many women don’t have – of being with my children – not being forced to leave my precious little ones while I worked at a job to support them.

I realized right then and there that feminism’s empty charm had tugged on my heart – that even as a Christian woman, I was vulnerable.  While I had a “choice” of whether to tend to my home or to seek outside pursuits away from my family, I recognized that I was prone to wander whenever I let God’s grand vision for womanhood slip from my mind.

4 comments:

  1. I have questions about this. Does this mean that she also won't put her children in the church nursery? Because that is the same atmosphere. I am all about parenting in the pew and we practice that but I wonder where she decides to draw that line.

    Also, what about the moms who let their own moms and mothers in law watch the kids for a few hours? Is that also against God grand vision for womanhood or is that acceptable? And if it is acceptable, what about the moms who don't have family available whether due to death or distance? Is it then okay for them to get a mother's helper every once in awhile so she can do things like scrub toilets, go to the DMV or visit the doctor for her yearly check up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great questions! I'll give my input to each of them:

    "Does this mean that she also won't put her children in the church nursery?"

    I believe there is a big difference between placing a child in the church nursery during a 1.5 hour worship service, as opposed to placing them in a "daycare" setting for a few hours a day, a few days each week. The church nursery/Sunday School exists to provide an age-appropriate worship and learning environment for the children so that their parents are able to be fully engage in *worship and the preaching of the Word* without the distraction of little ones. Of course, I believe that should be optional and up to the parent, (as long as the parent can keep their little ones from being too much of a distraction to everyone else around them.)

    "what about the moms who let their own moms and mothers in law watch the kids for a few hours?"

    I believe that is perfectly acceptable, as long as we mothers are not taking advantage of the situation and shirking our responsibilities as the full-time mother/homemaker. I myself, LOVE that my mom is always so willing to help me out now and then with the kids if I have an appointment, date with the hubby, etc. However, I do not drop my kids of at grandma's on a *regular weekly basis* so that I can have "me-time."

    "What about the moms who don't have family available whether due to death or distance?"

    I don't think that there is any written (or unwritten) rule saying that children should only be watched by family members. While that is ideal, it's simply not practical for everyone. I think the principle is still the same, not matter who watched tour children: Are we "pawning" them off on a regular basis to have "free time" to ourselves? Or are we leaving them with a babysitter now and then when we have a need. After reading this book, I really don't believe these ladies are saying it's a sin to have other people watch your children now and then. I'd go crazy if I didn't get a date or vacation alone with my husband now and then! And some errand are just impossible for me to run with 4 girls, ages 4 and under! ;-D So, we must be careful to not throw the "baby out with the bathwater." It's about checking our heart's motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to add one more thing:

    If the grandparents' (or other relatives) values are way off base, it's better to find childcare from within your church family. I would just make sure to pick people who by example and reputation, truly do walk with the Lord and share my values. I always make sure my instructions regarding entertainment, level of supervision etc., are crystal clear. We, as parents, are ultimately responsible for the consequences our children may suffer as a result of not carefully choosing appropriate childcare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the clarification Sarah. I appreciate what you said about "it's about checking our heart's motivation".I had similar questions as the above person, but I had a feeling they were trying to talk about the heart not the nitty gritty when is it "ok" to leave you child. You could be a single mom and have to leave your child somewhere every day and have a better heart than one who does only once a month to have that "me time". I know personally when I feel like I'm at my wit's end and need a "break"...that is when I need to get on my knees and spend some time with the Lord (which of course I am doing alone, so I guess that is also "me-time") I've noticed that when I go out to get a "break" but my heart still isn't right, it was pretty much worthless...I still come back feeling grumpy. So this is just a long way to say...yeah, it is all about the heart.

    ReplyDelete